Achieve your New Year’s Resolution to lose weight this year by following these simple guidelines for slimming down.
- At home keep carbohydrate portions to the size of your fist, and protein to the size of your hand laid out flat. This is an easy way to determine how much you should eat for your body size without having to measure, weigh, or count calories.
- At restaurants put half of your ordered food in a to go container. Restaurants serve generous portions which look great on your plate, but not on your waist. Ask for a to go container when you order your food and divide it before you start eating. If it’s not on your plate you’re less likely to eat it. Take it home to enjoy at a later time or day.
- Watch out for grazing! “Grazing” is what cattle do, they graze on grass all day long munching away to get big and strong. But they don’t graze and eat three big meals during the day. Subsequently grazing plus eating meals will easily pack on unwanted pounds. Grazing, or eating small amounts throughout the day is okay if you don’t eat regular meals too. Just be sure you are grazing on healthy foods like nuts, fruits, and vegetables. A grazing diet of popcorn, fast food, and candy will not give your body the nutrients it needs to be healthy.
- Portion control is a great way to reduce the calories that will end up as fat on your body.
Avoid Starvation and Plateauing
- Eat balanced meals with fruits, vegetables, protein, grains, dairy, and healthy fats. Green vegetables such as Romaine lettuce and spinach are a great way to fill you up while getting lots of healthy nutrients your body needs.
- Have variety in your food choices. A variety of foods and colors will insure that your body is getting the nutrients it needs. It will also help you from feeling bored, or feeling like you are ‘denying yourself’ while working on consuming smaller amounts of food.
- Have variety in the amount of calories you consume each day to prevent getting stuck in a weight rut. A good weekly system is to eat a set amount of calories for five days, then eat a little bit more one day, and eat a little bit less another day. This will keep your brain guessing and working to help you come to your ideal body weight, while reducing the risk of putting your body in starvation mode or stuck in a plateau weight.
Move Your Body
- Exercise is of course an important part of losing weight and staying fit. As you move you burn off excess fat and help your body clear out unneeded waste.
- Stand. We spend most of our time sitting at work and sitting in front of the TV or computer. Standing stretches out your body and strengthens your legs and buttock. Stand for 30 to 60 minutes a day and you’ll be surprised at your new firm behind.
- Move every hour. Every hour move a little. Shake your hands, stretch your legs, go for a short walk. Change up your routine with a little movement every hour and you’ll see your body slim and your mind become more alert.
This year give yourself the gift of a healthy new body.
By Carolyn Flynn LPC
Share your favorite weight loss tips in the comments below.
Carolyn Flynn, LPC holds a Master’s degree in Counseling with additional studies in Nutrition and Holistic Health. She provides a unique blend of mind-body solutions to create health, happiness, and loving relationships. She is a strategist, problem-solver, and intuitive guide. She believes every woman deserves to feel beautiful, serene, and happy. She is committed to helping women create lives they love. She is the author of SMART Talk, Heal Your Grief, and Holiday Peace and Joy.